The first NSU motorcycle rolled out of a sewing machine factory turned bicycle factory turned motorcycle factory, in 1901. The NSW factory was in Neckarsulm Germany. The 1901 model used a motor made by the Swiss company called Zedal. It was a 234 cc engine which put out 1.75 horse power, and had a top speed of 48 km/hr, or 31 mph. It had a bicycle type frame, which made sense since it was made in a bicycle factory. In bicycle fashion, it has a chain and freewheel, and a bicycle brake on the front wheel. NSR went on to make motorcycles, sidecars, and tracked motorcycles for the German army in WWII.
Drawing by Motorcycles of the 20th Century.